Daily Practice (22 min - for Q/W & DP)
Please show Brett how this is done. Use the time well and intentionally.
Quote of the Day:
"Empathy fuels connection, sympathy drives disconnection."
- Brene Brown
Word of the Day
Please visit the NYT website listed above as per usual.
Scary Question- One I Loathe Asking When Not Present For The Conversation...
What are the merits of our driving question being: What would it take to make schools safer?
Please have one person from each section take notes during the conversation in a Google Doc that you then share with me. If this conversation is productive and full, please feel free to table 4 Corners until tomorrow.
I'm so disappointed that I didn't think of this before now! Gah!
Please participate in 4 Corners regarding the two articles we read yesterday during class and for homework. Consider Brene Brown's words on empathy. As you speak and listen, say to yourself, "Be the bear. Be the bear." (That joke probably doesn't translate well...)
1. "Politics is how we put our ethics into policy."
2. If I'm being honest, I read things and associate with people who confirm my beliefs about the world.
3. I believe in "equality, social solidarity, and civilized non-aggression".
4. I was surprised by the depths of the correlation between gun ownership and conservative values.
5. The ownership of a gun is central to a person's identity and sense of self. Provide evidence from the articles.
6. It is easier to be against something than it is to be for something.
7. I can only be openminded if the person that I am speaking with is openminded themselves.